Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Shawl for the Ages ~

Sometimes when people think of wearing shawls they are uncomfortable with the notion. How would I wear it? It would make me look old, wouldn't it? Is wearing a triangle pointed at my rear end really a good idea? And other such nonsense. But these days shawls are no longer worn as they were in times past. Modern knitters are transforming the shawl into an accessory that is very wearable by everyone regardless of age, or gender, as you will see.


For example, I rarely wear a triangle shawl in the traditional manner.  By traditional manner I mean with the triangle pointing down my back and the ends tied in front.  Instead, I prefer to wear my shawls as I would a scarf.



This is the third time I've knit this particular shawl, the Diamond Fantasy Shawl.  It is a shawl that appeals to all ages, is very wearable, easily adapts to everyone's style sense, and is always noticed.  But it was last Christmas while I was visiting my parents that I realized how versatile this shawl really is.  It was Christmas eve and I was sitting in church with my parents next to my mother (who is 84) and realized she was getting cold.  I took off my Diamond Fantasy shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders.  Not only did it keep her warm, I was struck by how great it looked on her.  And, as further proof, my dad who is not one to make an insincere compliment, enthusiastically agreed.  So I told her I would make her one in green, her favorite color.  And so I have. 



Particulars: Diamond Fantasy Shawl by Sivia Harding Knit Designs, Sundara Yarn (sock) 100% Superwash merino yarn, colorway: Lush Tropics; US 5 needles (Rav link).  This is the third time I've knit this pattern because I really like this design.  One caveat, though.  This is a shawl where the design has lace pattern throughout.  As a result it takes a little longer to knit (requiring more concentration) than shawl patterns that have a large segment of plain stockinette.  If you are looking for a quick shawl project this probably isn't it.  Posts on my earlier versions are Diamonds are Forever (red) and A Modern Take on Gothic (blue); and a picture of Mr. Puffy modeling the blue shawl at the beach is on Flickr.

Incidentally, I also knit the cardigan I'm wearing in this post (finished in 2007).  It's the Rowena Cardigan from Knit 2 Together (Rav Link). 




And to finish my point on gender, manly men can, and do, wear shawls too.  I think Simcha proves that Stephen West of West knits is not the only guy that can rock a  shawl, although Mr. West does wear them well.  As it happens, I've bought the Daybreak Shawl pattern from West Knits so we can make a fair comparison at some point.



Something Sweet to Finish ~ A Rustic Raspberry Tart




This is a recipe for a Rustic Raspberry Tart from the Kerry Gold butter website.  It's a very easy recipe and makes a wonderful dessert.  I did prefer it cooled completely to room temperature (rather than still warm from the oven) so allow sufficient time for it to cool.  It's very nice with a dollop of ice cream.

A couple of quick tips.  Use only sweet fresh raspberries and sponge them off gentling to reduce water absorption.  I cooked my tart a little longer than the recipe stated because a berry filling is not cooked through until it is bubbling.  You can cover the tart with aluminum foil to prevent it from browning too much, if that is a concern.  I used Kerry Gold butter and followed the recipe exactly.  However, I did use my standard pie dough making tips which are to 1) add white vinegar to the ice water and 2) allow the dough to rest for a few minute in the refrigerator prior to rolling it out.


Until next time, be well and love well.  If you have heretofore thought you can't wear shawls, it's time to change your mind!

27 comments:

t does wool said...

Claudia,now,the shawl is perfectly beautiful,no matter how you wear it...and the color is delicious~and I might add you are quite the temptress ending with my ultimate favorite raspberry tart...really..drooling here in all accounts!

kim said...

I love the design of this shawl. Thank you for finally explaining to me alternatives for wearability. I am one of those who always thinks I would like to knit the piece but not actually wear it. So I don't. How is it possible that you make delicious treats like that tart and still look so slim? Do not make me hate you! :) Hi, Simcha!

Sue said...

What a gorgeous shawl, absolutely beautiful colors. I think I would wear them wrapped around my neck instead of over my shoulders too. Your cardigan looks very pretty too. I love that manly doggies can wear shawls too, lol!

Monika said...

I so agree with you. I wear my shawls like scarves most of the time. I can't believe you made this shawl more than once! I remember I didn't like knitting it, but I like how it looks finished. It was lovely to follow the link to Mr. Puffy modeling the blue shawl, but I also enjoyed seeing Simcha looking so handsome with the green shawl. :o)
I want to dig into your raspberry tart! It looks so delicious.

jillian said...

That is just beautiful! It's fantastic that both your parents are still with you. I'm positive that shawl will look wondrous on your mom!

Willow said...

Simka looks great in that green shawl :) as do you. Your mom will love it, too.

Tracy said...

Oh, how sweet... I'm not sure who's my fave model here, you or Simcha! ;o) That is a LOVELY shawl, Claudia. No wonder you've knit it several times over now--very versatile. I love shawls, and usually wear mine as I would a scarf too. Sometimes it's fun to have the point at the chest, bring the ends around to the front to hang down--almost like jewelry! I have a few shawls in my Ravelry queue, but still hunting yarn for most. That raspberry tart is DELICIOUS! Our raspberries are just now coming into ripeness... I can feel a stint of baking come on Happy Day, my friend. Oh, I am actually launching a new blog today, with new creative focus--I'm very excited about it. In a few weeks I'll be closing Pink Purl. Thanks for visiting me there. :o) ((HUGS))

Bridget said...

What a lovely shawl! You are the second person who is completely in love with this pattern that I know.

Simcha looks quite elegant wearing the shawl - he may need one of his very own.

That tart looks yummy. I may see if I can figure it out using blueberries, since raspberries are truly out of control expensive here.

SissySees said...

Beautiful as you and the shawl are, the last two photos - Simcha and the tart - are the ones that made me swoon!

And I am keeping a small shawl tied to my small purse these days. The "shawlettes" are just right for warding off air conditioned chills on shoulders.

Renee said...

Gorgeous! Such a pretty shaw. I really enjoyed the links to your other versions and modelled shot by Mr. Puffy. Great to see Simcha modelling knits now too!!

Oh, my, that tart... mmmmm, goodness, I must bake one for us. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love the colour of your shawl! Simcha looks good with it, too. And your raspberry pie looks absolutely yummy!

Hilary said...

Beautiful, Claudia!! I have some Sundara that has this pattern written all over it...the allover lace pattern is so pretty (and well worth the extra attention, I bet!). And, honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a more handsome dog than Simcha. You're so right that he can rock a shawl!

Kristen Rettig said...

Hi Claudia. It's nice to see you are taking some time to knit beautiful things and bake yummy treats and spend time with Simcha! I always enjoy your posts. Have a great summer.

Anonymous said...

My husband knew a manly man in Montana (kind of a character, though)
who wore a shawl. Seems to me, wasn't that a fad among mountain men, once? In the movies? You have just about talked me into a Shaelyn shawl -- and that is saying something considering I tend to stay about 500 miles away from charts, and have also just been given pause by Monika.
And that tart is so drool-worthy. How could you? (Although I have a secret suspicion that homemade baked goods are much less fattening than the chemical-infested commercial variety). Ursula

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

That tart has me drooling... yum! Looks like Simcha must be settling down - sitting still for a picture AND knitwear he is wearing, not consuming :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thank you all so much for your nice comments. I don't mind in the least being upstaged by Simcha. Note to self: No more blog posts featuring Simcha modeling same knit as myself.

Ursula, I'm so glad you said that! I too think that homemade treats have less calories than those found in restaurants or prepackaged. We must be on to something. BTW Monika's Shaelyn is in her Ravelry notebook (I don't think she blogged it). It's beautiful and made in her own handspun no less.

Jules said...

What a lovely shawl! And it's a great recommendation for the pattern that you've made three versions. I liked the link to Mr. P wearing his. Simcha also looks like a willing and patient model :o) I know it will be a treasured gift for your mom.

Silvia said...

Simcha looks wonderful in the shawl- the color is gorgeous!

KnittySue said...

Oh that shawl is beautiful, if you made 3 it must be a keeper..I'll give it a try.

Z said...

This looks really complicated and yet elegant, all at the same time.

That pie looks delicious!

Knitting Out Loud said...

How do you make all your posts so inspiring? And delicious? And how do you stay thin?

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia, thank you for referring me to Monika's Ravelry page, but you are an enabler. I now have more inspiration than I can complete in a lifetime. And there must be something different in the sugar in commercial sweets. After eliminating Entenmann's from my morning breakfast, I dropped a pound in two days (others' mileage may vary). I'll have to try your raspberry tart to test that theory.

Ursula

gMarie said...

What a lovely shawl. Thanks for showing us different ways to wear shawls. And yes - Simcha does look very handsome and still manly wearing that shawl. g

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Oh no, Ursula! Sounds like you have a case of S.A.B.L.E. = Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.

But don't worry, it's not life threatening and very common :)

Kathy "Knitting Out Loud" I think as Ursula pointed out, for some reason homemade treats do not seem to be as fattening as store bought. Maybe because there are no preservatives?

DaCraftyLady said...

I think that your dog looks so stunning in the shawl...lol...and that tart made my mouth water...I love the stitch...and the green so pretty

knittingdragonflies said...

The shawl is a classic, and it looks so good worn like that. The tart is so yummy looking, and I love Simcha hamming it up for the photo!
LOL
Vicki

Kristyn Knits said...

LOVE this shawl!! LOVE you modeling this shawl!! Stunning you!!
I want to knit one for my dear mil for Christmas, but keep stalling...I'm afraid to start! I just know I'll have to frog mistakes for lack of experience, and that just drives me crazy!!