Saturday, September 24, 2011

Autumn Vines ~ In the Clouds


We are having a spectacular Fall in Southern California with glorious cloud formations billowing high in the sky whilst fog seeps up from the valleys and ocean below.  This morning I am happy to be out with Simcha and Steve enjoying the scenery while wearing my new Autumn Vines Beret.  With the arrival of Simcha into our lives we go for a hike every morning because, if I've failed to mention it, Simcha is a "high energy" dog and we all have a more relaxing day if it begins with a hike.



The amazing thing is that the whole of Topanga is literally pickled with hiking trails that we never knew were there.  We've both driven these roads for years and never spotted them. But now whenever I see a car parked along the road I'll pull over and investigate and I have found numerous hidden trails that way.  I have Simcha to thank as it's only to provide amusement and diversion for him that I've been pushed to explore our neighborhood.  


One of the fun things about hiking is that you come across many natural treasures such as the bird's nest pictured below.  Whether it's a walk in your neighborhood or a hike in the mountains, if you take the time to look there are countless treasures just waiting to be found.




Autumn Vines Beret, pattern by Alana Dakos, who blogs as Never Not Knitting; US 4 needles; Pashmina Yarn by Madelinetosh (Cove colorway).  This was a fun pattern to knit and my only modification was to go down a needle size.  I have this hat thanks to Andrea who blogs as Life on Laffer (a test knitter for Alana Dakos) because its from seeing her many beautiful test knits and, but for that, I'm not sure this designer would have been on my radar.  Rav Link  This designer has also recently published Coastal Knits, A Collaboration between Friends on Opposite Shores, which I've ordered because I do, after all, live on the Coast.


The MisAdventures of Simcha 

I know it's pink.  I paid extra for that.



I think it is important to combat sexual stereotyping whenever possible. 

Until next time, be well and love well and this Fall I hope you will take walks in your neighborhood ~ I know that you will be pleased by what you find!

29 comments:

Monika said...

The Beret looks wonderful, and Simcha is handsome as ever!
Your neighborhood is a lot prettier than ours. I'd like to walk there too, instead of around here. :o)

Sue said...

I love Alana's patterns and your beret looks beautiful. It sounds as though your enjoying the great outdoors with Simcha too.

t does wool said...

the hat is gorgeous,Claudia..you radiant in it..and simcha..he likes the pink..maybe :)

Prairie Rose said...

Oh.My. GOODNESS! I love that look that he is giving the ball!!
Dogs are colorblind,my foot! HAha!
Your beret is Stunning!!!
So beautiful...
Someday, I hope to knit as well as you do.
Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Awww, that was so nice of you to say. It's funny because I actually planned out today which hats I'd like to knit for the fall and this is number one on my list. It's so fast and pretty. I can't wait to have one of my own.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful hat and looks perfect for your fall hiking! You're so lucky to have those great trails to hike and a good excuse to get out too.

And Simcha looks a little dubious of his pink ball...

Renee said...

How great!! We love to hike, it's one of our favourite things to do with the dogs. I may just have to knit myself an Autumn Vines so I can hike with you all each morning in spirit.

Aw, Simcha has a girl toy, I mean girl's toy, I mean... lol Kidding. ;-)

Denise said...

I pre-ordered coastal knits last week and just knit the Rustling Leaves Beret. Autumn Vines is on my list too. Love how yours turned out.

Bridget said...

Beautiful beret - and the Pashmina yarn probably makes it extra yummy!

I love the picture of Simcha and the tennis ball - the expression on his face is great.

Hey - we beat Pitt yesterday - YAY!

Jules said...

Great hat! Alana has a nice podcast, too. I haven't made any of her patterns but I know that she puts a lot into them to make sure they are the highest quality. Your hat may inspire me to change that :o)

SissySees said...

As always, what a stunning knit! I enjoy the walks with the fur-girls too, especially the naps they take when we're done.

Silvia said...

Beautiful hat, and it looks like a wonderful day. How long did that ball stay pink?!

subliminalrabbit said...

Lovely!

Willow said...

You are making me want to explore Toganga now!
Thanks for the links. I'm off to check them out. Lovely lovely beret. I think my girls might like those for Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Being related to a high energy dog myself (through her mommy, my daughter), I can really relate to those long tire-them-out walks. And I bought one of Alana's patterns recently. Haven't tried it yet. It's the brown cowl on her blog. She appears to be a real up-and-comer. And Simcha looks rather doubtful about the pink in that tennis ball. Or is that just in my traditional-minded head? And, Claudia, that's a beautiful beret. I love the color.

gMarie said...

Your hair looks amazing! Did you get it chopped off? The beret is lovely as is everything you knit. Simcha looks quite disturbed that the ball is pink - poor boy. g

Tracy said...

The beret is sooo LOVELY, Claudia! That leafy/vine pattern is wonderful--and this piece looks so good on you. Beautiful photos of you! And that one of Simcha too! Pink ball... too cute, it is hilarious, his expression is priceless! Has he warmed up to the pink yet? ;o) Keep us posted on those gender breaking issues... LOL... Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous view! And a lovely beret to match. Never knew there are pink tennis balls. :D Too cute!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the hat! How fortunate to live in an area that you can still explore and find hidden trails in. What a fortunate dog Simcha is to have you to take him on all those lovely hikes!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Simcha doesn't look too sure about that tennis ball - or perhaps he's just plotting it's destruction?
Love the Autumn Vines beret - I just purchased a few of Alana's patterns when she had her fall sale, although I haven't had a chance to start on one yet.
My kids were just saying they want to go back to California - I have to say I agree with them!

Allie said...

That beret is stunning Claudia, and I love the scenery too! The look on Simcha's face is priceless....too funny!

Sherry said...

I love reading about the joy that Simcha has brought to your life. To me walking/hiking & exploring new places is joy.

I know I say it each time you post a picture of Simcha, but I'll say it again ... He's so handsome.

I think I might need to get my tennis ball loving girl a pink ball.

Katherine said...

Beautiful beret! Just this week we have had cooler weather in Texas and are able to walk in the early mornings. Macy is loving it. She discovers so many things she wants to bring home with her.

I love Simcha's pink ball but the way he is looking at it I'm not sure he is feeling the pink!

Kristyn Knits said...

I love the sentiment in your post. So many times I simply drive down familiar roads without noticing my surroundings! Thanks for the reminder to be present no matter where I am.

Love your beret! It's beautiful on you!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments! Simcha has warmed up to the pink ball and is enjoying playing with it ~

Kathy, you are right, she's definitely receiving more attention and deserves it ~ this pattern was a delight to knit and her cowls look very cozy and fun to knit too :)

Andi said...

Ah that face...love Simcha. Could he be anymore handsome?
Your hat looks wonderful. I bought that pattern a little while back, after seeing yours, I may just have to cast on very soon!

betty said...

That beret looks great on you!

Our Large Dog gets 2 walks a day (one in the AM and one in the PM). Without them, the dog, and subsequently us, would go crazy.

Hilary said...

What a beautiful hat! Looks like it was really fun to knit, too...one of those patterns that has enough interesting techniques to keep you on your toes, but not so many that it gets complicated. Looks great on you, too! And, oh my gosh, that first photo is amazing with the fog rolling in!!

knittingdragonflies said...

Love the beret! Simcha is his usual handsome self.
Vicki